free web tracker Alex Knows Everything - The Greatest Blog In The World By Alex Oliveira: When Egos Attack!

Thursday, March 22, 2007

When Egos Attack!

These days, a lot of people are having or have kids. Inevitably the conversation turns to child rearing and just how the hell you raise a kid today without having them become a cam slut or the next Columbine kid.

Through all the anxiety one thing seems to come up time and time again, self esteem. If you raise your kid with a goal of giving them a defined sense of self worth then really, the rest should take care of itself. Sage Wisdom? Hardly. it's over simplification to the point of cliché.

However, as I ride jarringly down the tracks in the green machine they call GO I find myself reflecting as I often do on my own hopes, dreams and aspirations for the future.

Add to this the recent addition of facebook into my life and things start to get complicated. Each day I find myself with 2 new elements to my reality. Finding out:

1. What my peers have been up to for the last X years since I saw them last. Now, don't get me wrong, I am largely very happy to hear from everyone but, it really is a scorekeeping moment no matter how much you claim 'not to care'. Here is a group of people who, on paper, all had the same skills, abilities and opportunities as me. A decade or so we were set out on the world and now we find ourselves at a way point of measurement. The good news is catching up with old friends on facebook is basically the plutonic version of lavalife, best case scenarios and over exaggeration, so where one grain of salt is usually prescribed, use two.

2. Finding out what my newly reconnected network is up to daily and often hourly. Funny how you can go from not having spoken to someone since before there was reality tv to now being apprised of their every mood change? I guess this acts like an I.V. drip versus pushing the full needle every 10 years.

Now with the world's most verbose precursor in place, I digress.

Self esteem, we're supposed to have lots of it and if we do this is what's supposed to bring us happiness and good decision making skills. But I got to thinking tonight, what if having a lot of self esteem gives you a false sense of importance in the world?

I see my lost friends and their comfortable lives and their charming new families and I ask, so is that it? Are they happy? Are they at the finish line and now it's about the generation behind them?

At this point if you're one of those people you're thinking, screw you Oliveira! Who do you think you are?

EXACTLY! This is my point, who DO I think I am? In my heart I truly do think I am somehow destined to do something important or be someone great. While not looking down on the lives of others, I know I would never find mediocrity acceptable for me.

And so I wonder has an over inflated sense of self importance fueled by years of building good self esteem actually cursed me to live a life unfulfilled or is it this constant state of dissatisfaction that pushes great people?

As a tangential point, all of this may be moot because greatness, like a nickname, is probably not something you declare upon yourself?

Yours truly,
Alex 'the iceman', 'ace' Oliveira

4 Comments:

At 1:51 p.m., Blogger Rob said...

Thought provoking post, I enjoyed it. Even if it does break your "nano" approach to the blog, which I personalyl enjoy.

There's this little "comments" button down here, so I thought I'd share with you my thoughts.

While self confidence is certainly important, I think it's too broad to adequately cover the point. Confidence is simply a believe in one's own abilities - but to me what is more important is where that confidence comes from. Is it rooted in a strong set of morals and a beleive that you have the abilities to do the right thing, and make the right choice? Or is based on comparisons to others, and how your abilities measure up? Or, perhaps most disconcerting, is it rooted in an ingrained sense of entitlement?

I see far too many people base their confidence in comparison to others, or because they've been programmed to beleive in themselves (i.e. gangsta' culture). That's where ego comes from, and I don't frankly think it's confidence at all.

To me, having a strong set of morals and beleives - whether they are from religion, or in my case fostered by loving parents - is the only thing that matters. I have confidence that I am making the right choices in life to not only make myself happy, but to also increase the happiness of those around me. My personal confidence has nothing to do with how I measure up to those around me.

$0.02,
Rob

 
At 10:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you define mediocrity?

How do you know your friends are lost? Maybe having a comfortable life and a charming family isn't solely what defines them. Maybe there are mothers and fathers and wives and husbands out there who are humanitarians and philanthropists or maybe they are volunteers in their communities or perhaps they are contributing to the world of art as painters, photographers and writers? Or perhaps there are just people out there who are content with being good, loving and compassionate people. If mediocrity means working hard, supporting yourself, raising compassionate children and sharing your life in a meaningful way with another soul, then I think a lot of people out there would be OK with that. It would certainly make for a better world than one filled with people who were sitting around waiting for greatness to strike.

People who think they are somehow "destined" to do something important are usually doing just that - thinking. Being great requires action. It means asking yourself every day, "What have I done today to make the world a better place for myself, my partner, my friends, my children?" It requires getting off your ass and doing something instead of waiting for destiny to knock on your door and hand you "greatness".

Self-esteem is an over-analyzed concept that people use to excuse their unsatisfactory lives and inability to grab the happiness in life that is there for the taking.

 
At 1:40 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't want to be mediocre, why does your band make such boring music?

The Gentlemen Callers were your real shot at greatness. The world doesn't need another generic rock band.

 
At 12:35 p.m., Blogger @lex said...

Friends and readers,

Correct me if I am wrong but I think 'anonymous' (if that is your REAL name!!) does not like the music my band makes. I might be reading into this but somewhere around the 4th time he/she decided to post with a topic unrelated flame, I started to think to myself "I don't think this person likes my band".

WELL! Needless to say I haven't been able to sleep a wink since I came to that realization. I mean to think, I may or may not respect this person. I may or may not care about their opinion. They may or may not be a person of influence. They may or may not be a family member for all I know.

Perhaps in future they may or may not identify themselves. At which point I may or may not chose to give their comments thought. In the meantime....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home